Friday 20 September 2013

Thunder and blackouts


Sat here in a little local cafe, lights blinking as the electricity struggles through ancient bare wires, I'm wondering just how wet is it possible to get just by crossing the road? Given that at this present moment I can't even see the other side, I'm guessing pretty damned wet. I pose this question not through wont of another thought, but as I have been sat in this seat for two hours now hoping that the rain might ease up enough to cross to the taxi stand. It turns out that the rainforest is well and truly living up to it's name.

Rain and bone-shaking thunder included (of which there is a spectacular show every afternoon), I am very much enjoying this little town of Boquete. It is nestled in an impressive, fertile valley which is reflected everywhere you go. El quetzal, a favourite and endangered brightly coloured bird, is painted everywhere! Hand-painted panoramic forest-scapes cover the interior of cafes and shops lending a friendly, almost childlike quality to the atmospheres.

Spanish classes began on Monday and are both hard work and exceptionally rewarding. It's just Luis, my teacher, and me. I'm benefiting so much so that I have arranged with the sister school in Bocas to continue classes twice a week for the entirety of my stay in Panama. What sense does it make to half learn the language when I have the opportunity to continue studying? And anyhow it'll come as a welcome break from pulling worms out of people's feet...

No comments:

Post a Comment